One of our family holiday gifts this year was the Blokus 3D Game. In addition to the strategy element, one of the reasons I enjoy the original Blokus Classics Game so much is that the shapes of the pieces are so appealing.The same holds true for the 3D version. While the classic game pieces are pentominoes, Blokus 3D features the same shapes that can be found in a Soma Cube Puzzle.
Good things about this Game:
- The game is easy to learn: Players simply place blocks within the chosen frame until all the blocks have been played. The winner is the person who has the most blocks showing from the top.
- There are many strategies to try – block opponents, cover a lot of space, or play high. I am still not sure what is the best approach.
- There are several different frames, which changes the game significantly.
- Games go relatively quickly – about ten or fifteen minutes each.
- Great for improving spatial skills.
- It is one of those great games that is fun for both kids and adults.
About the only drawback to this game is that the tower can get a little wobbly and could be knocked over by accident. We did have to continually neaten up our towers. Although this is a bit of a pain, it doesn’t take away from the fun.