Inference in Pictures
- How do you think the character in the picture feels?
- What makes you think so?
- How does the picture make you feel? Why?
- What do you see in the background of this picture? How is the background important?
- Why do you think the illustrator used the color _______ for _________?
- What do you think will happen next?
Inference in Text
Bring a backpack from home that you have filled with specific items. Tell your students that it is their job to learn as much as they can about the owner of the backpack by examining the contents. Pull out one item at a time to discuss. Group items that seem to go together to tell a story (for example, colored pencils, an eraser, and a sketch book). You could also do this in small groups by giving each group a different backpack.
Image provided by Fourth Grade Flipper