Wreck this Journal by Keri Smith is a great way to lose your inhibitions, think very creatively, and have fun. It is very much about coloring outside of the lines. Each page invites you to do something you’d never normally do to a journal, like…
- Poke holes in this page using a pencil
- Scribble wildly, violently with reckless abandon
- Pour, spill, drip, spit, fling your coffee here
- Give away your favorite page. Accept the loss.
- Tear this page out. Put it in your pocket. Put it through the wash, stick it back in.
- Cover this page using only office supplies (picture from Camp Creek Blog)
While researching this post, I discovered that Wreck this Journal has quite the fan base. In addition to many blog entries and several blogs devoted just to the book, there are also many YouTube videos in which people have shared how they have used their copy. There is also a nice interview with Keri Smith about creativity on About Creativity.
I think it would be fun to complete a Wreck this Journal on your own, but it could also be a great group project. I am thinking of buying a copy and putting it on our coffee table. That way I, my two teens, and any guests we might have could contribute.