So, a few months ago I was thinking about making an ELA skills review product – something with several different skills on one page – but when I asked my Facebook followers what they thought about the idea, a bunch of them basically said, “Well, that’s a swell idea, but what we really need is reading skills practice.” I am all about making what teachers need, so I went to work. I wanted to create a product that would be super easy to use – basically print-and-go but would also provide rigorous, Common Core-aligned practice and would be fun for the students, too. The resulting product is Text Time.
The first thing you need to know about Text Time is that I wrote all the passages, and I am a published author of over 100 nonfiction books for children. I have written for Harcourt, Rosen, Thomson-Gale, Evan-Moor, and several others. You can see my books on Amazon here. The passages in Text-Time are no different from those I would write for any of these publishers. They are well-sequenced, grade appropriate, interesting.
NOTE: As Amazon Associates, we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you look at the image below, you will notice a few things about the passages:
- It’s all on one page – super easy!
- The passages are written at two different reading levels. The passage on top is easier and is marked with a single diamond in the bottom left, while the one on the bottom is more challenging and is marked with two diamonds.
- The questions are the same for both reading levels. This means that you can discuss the questions as a group, even if you have students using different levels.
- The skills addressed are listed in small print below the passage. Those skills are also part of the table of contents for easy reference.
There are 60 passages (120 altogether, since there are two versions of each). They are a mix of curriculum-based topics and high-interest topics. They are organized in cycles of six:
- Informational Text (nonfiction)
- Literature (fiction)
- Informational Text with a picture, such as a chart, a table, a map, a diagram, or an illustration
- Informational Text