Here is a fun activity that integrates creative writing with math by having students use dice to write a non-rhyming poem. Students will also get practice with syllables.
You could do this as a whole class, if you have enough dice, or at a center.
- Give each student a pair of dice.
- Students roll the dice and add them up for a total.
- The total is the number of syllables for the first line of the poem.
- After the first line is written with the correct number of syllables, the student rolls the dice again for the next line.
- Continue until the poem is finished.
- Name the poem.
This is easy to do on notebook paper, but if you want a free printable worksheet, you can get one here.