You are at a restaurant waiting for the food to come, and your kids are…shall we say, a little squirrely. Here are some games to play to keep their hands and their minds busy!
- Make a grouping of 7-8 objects from the table: sugar packets, silver wear, salt shaker, etc.
- Give the other players 10 or so seconds to look at it.
- Have them cover their eyes while you remove one object.
- Now the players get to guess which object is missing.
- The winner of the first round gets to be the one to choose the item to hide for the next round.
One or Two?
- This is a game for two players.
- Place seven sugar packets in a row.
- Player 1 may take away one or two sugar packets.
- Player 2 may also take away one or two packets.
- Continue to take turns in this manner.
- The one who is left with the last sugar packet loses.
- The loser gets to go first in the next round.
- Watch your kids figure out the best strategy for winning.
- Draw a large tic-tac-toe board on a napkin or on the back of a place mat.
- Give each player three markers – these could be different colored sugar packets or different flavored jams.
- Begin playing in the usual way. When a player runs out of markers, she must move one of her markers that is on the board to another space in the grid.
- Play until someone wins.