Finding The Right Coding Class (Freebie included!)
We live in a world that is becoming more and more digital every day. One skill that’s super important is coding. It’s not just for tech wizzes anymore; it’s for everyone. Schools are adding more classes centered around coding each year, and we are seeing coding transition from being considered an elective class to becoming a core class.
Parents should expose their children as soon as possible to guided courses, 1-1 live sessions, and classes for kids. In this post, I’ll help you understand why coding is special and how to pick the perfect class 💻.
The Benefits of Learning to Code
By starting early, kids open a world of opportunities for themselves. Coding isn’t just for creating software or building websites. It helps in solving problems and expressing creative ideas.
Like a puzzle 🧩, with coding, you can design a solution, put it into action, and if it doesn’t work, you’ll fix it and try again. It’s like playing in a digital sandbox where you can learn and grow. The most rewarding feeling with coding is seeing others use your code in their daily lives.
Your child is at the perfect age to start!
Many developers believe the best time to introduce kids to coding is during elementary school or early middle school, around grades 2nd to 6th. Just like learning a new language, the earlier you start, often the better you’ll be. Think of it as a language that lets you talk to computers, but also people!
Cool Coding Languages for Kids 👧🏾👦🏻
When it comes to choosing a coding language for kids, we want it to be simple and fun. Here are two choices that are popular in 2023:
Scratch: This is a very visual programming language made by MIT, especially for kids aged 8+. Kids can create their own games, animations, and interactive stories, all while learning the basics.
Python: Python is perfect for kids who are ready for text-based coding. It’s simple and widely used in real-life applications, from website development to data analysis, and now it’s widely used in the A.I. boom!
Different Types of Coding Classes for Kids
Kids can learn coding in many ways. Here are three methods for beginners:
- Offline classes: These are traditional classroom-based lessons. Some kids find them more engaging. But they’re location-dependent and might not fit every family’s schedule, especially when long commutes must be accounted for.
- Online classes: These lessons are flexible and let kids learn at their own pace. They are often video-based and include interactive exercises and immediate feedback. Some of the best classes are those that are live and guided. They usually include built-in exercises as well and can be in a group setting. You can browse online coding classes on many sites like 24HourAnswers.
- Boot camps: These are short, intense programs that teach coding quickly. They often focus on projects, so kids can build a portfolio while learning. Boot camps should only be considered for those that are at least in 5th or 6th grade, given the time commitments and attention requirements. Out of all three options, this is the most expensive.
Choosing the Right Coding Class for Your Child
Picking the right class can be tricky. Here are a few things to consider:
- Your child’s interests: Does your child like game design 👾, building websites 🖥, A.I. 🤖, or a specific topic? Choose a class or coding language that matches their interests.
- Class Curriculum: Check if the class you find covers the basics. Will it challenge your child without making them feel overwhelmed? Does it match your child’s learning patterns?
- Class size and teacher expertise: Smaller classes often mean more attention for each student. Also, check the teacher’s expertise and teaching methods. Vetted tutors and instructors are a must!
Claim a free lesson for your child!
Coding is more than just a cool skill; it’s a tool for your child’s future. By introducing coding to kids in 2nd-6th grade, you’re giving them the ability to solve problems, be creative, and prepare for future jobs. With that in mind, 24HourAnswers is offering free trial 1-1 lessons. To claim a free lesson for your child click here!
There’s a class out there that can help them learn and succeed. So why wait?
About the Author
Alec P. is a coding instructor at 24HourAnswers.com. A platform that works with students in K-12 and College and offers online tutoring and guided online classes. They cover over 300 subjects and topics with a focus on STEM.